View Single Post
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 22:07   #1
mylittletony
Master Member

Default 1997 940 estate, 135k miles, manual

Evening all,

The time has come up to put my trusty Volvo up for sale, I've taken a new job that will mean I have to drive 30 miles to work and I will need a frugal diesel...

I bought this in October 2011 for occasional load lugging, long trips and because I fancied a RWD turbo. When I bought it I did a full service and changed the cambelt, at 124k miles. It was bought from a window cleaner in Dorset who bought it from customer who was a vicar apparently, although I have no evidence to substantiate this.

important info:
MOT until 16th July 2013
Tax until Sept 2013
135k miles, will rise slightly as in occasional use still.
2.3 turbo, manual. Engine code B230FK, M90 gearbox, the desirable redblock combo with oil squirters.

I have had 2 problems in my ownership:
1. a running under load issue, eventually diagnosed as a cheap, faulty MAF which was replaced with a new, genuine Bosch item with a value of £250. The cat was also blocked and replaced with a new one. As part of the diagnostic work all the ignition components were replaced, dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads and plugs. Please see my old threads for more info.
2. Broken alternator belt, which resulted in a tow home after the lights became too dim to continue. New ancillary belts fitted.

Existing faults:
Front brake judder, this will be warped discs as it started immediately after the aforementioned tow. These are available for £17 ea on ebay, or more if you want to spend it.
Clutch judder when pulling away, which only occurs in first gear. There is no slipping in the other gears. This hasn't got worse in 18mths and as such I haven't investigated any further.
Ham fisted PO has closed bonnet heavily and dented the forward edge slightly
Some general scratches
Cracked windscreen, but passed the MOT like this and hasn't got any worse since purchased
Rear near side door doesn't unlock correctly on central locking, must be opened from the inside the first time. Once unlocked there is no problem.
Warning light for a blown bulb, this is the RHS brake light, but the bulb is not at fault, there is a loose connection which I have not repaired.

Since owning it, I've sorted out some interior niggles, such as a loose tailgate trim panel using genuine clips and replaced the tailgate struts with new as I banged my head one too many times!

Modifications:
Manual boost controller and boost gauge fitted. Pressure has been raised from 4psi (135hp) standard to 12psi for an estimated 190hp, based on the HPT models getting 165hp from 8psi. Total transformation of the car, but can be easily removed. I very rarely use the additional power as I don't like wasting money on fuel by driving like a tool.

I have lowered the car by removing 2 coils front and rear, again a total transformation! No longer boaty and wallowy, but flat and firm. Still comfortable though and doesn't catch unless on the harshest of speed bumps when the exhaust kisses occasionally. This change could be very easily reversed by fitting a new set of springs.

Other:
Half leather interior and generally a nice place to be. There are a few age related scuffs.
I've fitted new rear discs and pads
I fitted a tow bar, but never used it. This can be seen by the fact I never wired it up!!
I've got the genuine dog guard and front and rear undertrays in the garage

Anyway, enough typing, see below for some pictures:

The worst scratch, this hasn't damaged the steel, but would need a touch up

Dents on bonnet:

Interior:

Any questions, drop me a PM and I'll respond with my phone number. Happy to provide any more pics or info as required.

I'm looking for £850, which I feel is fair considering it's relatively low mileage, good spec, good condition and had the cambelt done. A small amount of cosmetic work on the paint and some new front discs would see this become a very smart example. I am open to sensible offers and welcome all viewings.

The car is in Weybridge.

Many thanks,

Tony
mylittletony is offline   Reply With Quote