View Single Post
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 00:05   #6
roy-bolton

Default RE: Love my 740SE but have a few problems

Hi Terry, Had a 1988 740 for ages. Loved the car but it eventually had to go for an 850. The lights on volvos as far as the warning lights are concerned work in pairs and should be replaced as such. Any slight voltage difference between the two will trigger the bulb warning light. I suggest you clean up as many connections and fuses you can get to. The sidelight/day running light holders tend to corrode and fall to pieces. Any can be replaced at not a great cost. The 1988 740 was notorious for the fuel gauge being erratic. I don't know about the later ones. If you have a haynes manual, there is a test using resistors to test whether it's the fuel sender or the gauge. There is a post elsewhere on this. i had a theory that the problem with the guage (if it proves to be this) is down to the pins that plug into the printed circuit at the back of the speedo head. Do you mean intermittent wiper or washer not working. If the wipers I would be looking at connections or more likely the relay. Are they still behind the ashtray. Not well up on auto boxes so can't help there. Sunroof seems to be one of those problems you stare at with a brew for half an hour waiting for a eureka moment :-) best of luck - Roy