View Single Post
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 22:21   #148
chrisdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikw View Post
I bought a garrett turbo reconditioning kit for £30, and it cost me £30 to have the shaft balanced, picked up a gasket set from Volvo in Preston for £16 on the way back, and started the meticulous cleaning and re-assembly process. It took several hours, mostly on silly things like the heat shield and getting the oil drain back in the sump, the actual turbo part was relatively smooth and straight forward.

After turning the engine over to oil and prime the turbo, I then let the engine idle for 10-15 minutes to inspect underneath for leaks, etc. I then headed off for the maiden voyage and the difference is amazing, I bought the car 3.5 years old 6 years ago and I never remember it being as good as this. The whole power delivery is different and better, the turbo now whistles as it should, doesn't whine anymore, and better still, 6805 has vanished at last!

Any DIYers out there thinking of taking it on - It's hard work, but the end result is very satisfying.
Well done for persevering Janikw! You deserve that feeling of satisfaction. Good for you