Thread: Engine 850: B5234T/2.3/20v/T5: - Inlet manifold removal and oil seperator/pcv hose replacement
View Single Post
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 18:34   #12
dooby
Forum Support Team

Hi folks,

well - I did this yesterday. I started around 11am and finished about 8pm - but this involved 2 trips to Halfords and replacement vacuum hoses at the same time.

Guess I'm a slow worker :-) There were a few things I noted as I went. When it came to removing the top hose to the thermostat to gain access to the left manifold bolt I had under-estimated the amount of coolant which would come out - all over the starter motor etc! In hindsight maybe I'd have drained that a bit first.

Other showstopper - whilst I could get all the manifold bolts off with a 1/2" 10mm socket or bend-at-the-neck 10mm ratchet spanner I struggled getting some back on to the right torque. I found the 1/2" stuff was just too wide to fit in the gaps in the manifold and get cleanly on the bolt.

Ended up having to go out and buy 3/8" extension bar, universal joint and 10mm socket. Slightly rounded one of the bolts trying with the 1/2" stuff but got it torqued correctly with the new kit.

Didn't take the fuel injectors off in the end, by the way.

There were certainly oil deposits in the air intake pipe. When I took the oil separator off there was also some nasty thick black gunk in some of the holes leading into the engine. Didn't have any obvious blockages in any of the replaced pipes, and still don't feel any obvious vacuum with the filler cap off at idle :-(

Too early to say if the oil consumption is any better! Did a quick test holding paper over the exhaust and redlined it and no oil spots so here's hoping.

Anyway, the guide was a great help, so a big thank you to Jod.

Cheers, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

dooby is offline   Reply With Quote