Thread: V70: Engine - Fan Belt Breaking the Cambelt
View Single Post
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 10:17   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

I wonder if this is a problem due to lack of awareness?

I find it unusual that my aux belt life span is half that of the main cambelt, I've not come across this before in cars. If owners are not aware, they may not be getting the belts replaced at the right time!

But that raises a question, who is responsible for deducing what is needed on what services? Is it the responsibility of the dealer/garage to check the history of the car to decide the correct service is done, or is the onus on the owner to specify what they want doing in a service? What exactly does service mean anyway? I imagine a main dealer will be more fastidious about getting the service interval correct and ask the mileage and age, but what about independants and places like Halfords/Kwik Fit. There does a service simply mean an oil and filter change with no other work being done unless specified by the customer?

When buying my car I was nearly left in a bad predicament by the Volvo main Dealer who sold it to me. They replaced the cambelt, but not the A/C belt or or aux belt. If it was not for me being so pedantic and questioning everything, I could have carried on driving unawares and had a costly aux belt failure.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote