View Single Post
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 23:21   #31
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol603 View Post
Dai fitted LPG to my Amazon last year. When I got the car back home to Hampshire I took it to my local garage for them to check over. I have known the mechanic (he is also an MoT tester) there for many years. He used to fit LPG conversions himself a few years ago. He checked over the install Dai had done and was of the view it was a good quality job and did not need any changes. The car has run well since and the install paid for itself in less than 12 months. My insurance company were quite happy to cover the car at no extra premium.
Bristol603,

Dai has done some fantastic jobs in the past and he has many glowing reports on this forum about his work. Unfortunately he has done a few pretty bad installs too though.

It is like any industry where it takes a long long time to get real established regulation in place. The LPG industry in real terms is still in early days and evolving but in todays day and age where we are (rightfully or wrongfully) so H & S conscious and not forgetting the fact that LPG is pretty dangerous stuff?

We have seen it with other industries like bouncers (Door Men/Women) who once upon a time used to be the biggest thugs going but has now evolved into being very good, skilled, trained, regulated industry. Another example is private clampers and car parks, these used be the a haven for complete thugs and criminals but eventually evolved (better late than never) into slightly better industry. Okay the clampers didn't get any better so were eventually regulated out of a job!

You take other appliances that use gas and you need to be a qualified Corgi Registered technician to even open the front cover before you can work on it. Your not even meant plug a gas cooker into the wall these days unless your qualified. Yet when it comes to gas on vehicles we let any old man and his dog with no qualifications install LPG into cars/vehicles?? There is something wrong here would you not say?

I suspect the LPG industry will continue to evolve and the day will come when you can only touch or install LPG if you are truly qualified and in date for said qualification. Unfortunately this is probably still a long way off.

More and more insurance companies in the UK are insisting that any car they cover for LPG has to be on the UKLPG register. If you're not on the register then they will tell you they will not insure you. This should be mandatory as far as I'm concerned. Just like with normal gas appliances and the need to be Corgi registered the world of LPG should in my opinion be the same and only a qualified LPG engineer be able to conduct installs.

I know this is an 'ideal' and a long way off but it would stop a lot of problems that DO occur with less than standard installations that puts peoples lives at risk. It does happen - LINKY!

There is nothing stopping Dai in being a proper registered installer, then able to do installs and have his customers entered on to the UKLPG database and thus providing his customers with proper certification and backup from a governing body too. You pays your money you takes your chance as they say?

Bristol603, when you had your install done did Dai explain to you that he was not a UKLPG registered installer and that your car wouldn't be entered on to the database?? Did he tell you that the Certificates he was giving out and signing was quoting a Code of Practice that ceased 4 years earlier and as such were not worth the paper they were written on? He might have done but I suspect not, I suspect he told you nothing more than how wonderful his systems are and how happy his customers have been then proceeded to take your money without as much of an obligatory comment on how much your NOT covered in the way of Certification.

Just popped in my head but the Travel industry too were in a right state a while back but due to regulation they are so much better now and people actually covered for their Holidays by the governing body (ATOL) for anything that goes wrong or dodgy doings by the seller.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote