Thread: General: - Help!! have I bought a lemon?!?
View Single Post
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 01:04   #1
PaulieOfArrod

Default Help!! have I bought a lemon?!?

Hi All.
Been driving 20 years. Just bought my first volvo, today. an S60 2.4 t s auto. Seemed fine on the test drive. After I picked it up though..transmission problem...

After slowing down and then when the engine and transmission has / should have gone down through the gears, and when it is then "picking up" the weight of the car again, there is a pretty serious jolt and shock. It is very intermittent, but when it happens it is severe. I think I can possibly avoid it most or all of the time if I manually go down the gears while decellerating. However, after I stopped at one point and then just set off from standing it did it then too...

It has been sold by a garage on "trade terms" although I'm still sure they can't sell to joe public something that's not of merchantable quality.

I only know the very basic mechanical features of a car. haven't played about with one for many years. Been driving BMW's for 10 years. Aside from this issue I'm extremely impressed with the Volvo. It's more comfortable on the motorway than the modern 325 the wife usually uses.

There is one other issue:water, condensation and mold in the boot, particularly centering about the nearside rear light cluster area. I couldn't see any gaping rusty hole (body work is very good, especially for the age), so reckoned it might have been from valeting and being then left standing. But if anyone has any knowledge on that, that would be great too.

Gearbox is the main fear / concern though of course.. It's a 2001 car with 90k miles on the clock and pretty good regular service history, most of it main dealer until past 60k.

If this is a terminal problem with the gearbox I need to probably think of my next move quick regarding the garage and maybe trading standards...

Thanks!!

Paul

Last edited by PaulieOfArrod; Nov 13th, 2013 at 01:06. Reason: typos
PaulieOfArrod is offline   Reply With Quote