Thread: Sad
View Single Post
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 11:57   #24
DWM
VOC Member

Right then:

I've (finally) got the aux belt off....! Pathetic, yes, but by my standards that is already a huge leap.

Now: before I go much further, there is something that is preying on my mind because I can't quite get it clear in my own mind, no matter how much I read.

Thinking about the loss of timing that chomerly suffered - see post 67 and Clan's reply in post 68 of this thread:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=185008

How do I avoid it? I mean, given that the camshafts have to come off for me to replace the valve, is there going to be any way of putting it back together just by carefully marking the positions of the camshaft and crankshaft pulleys? Or am I bound to need a special tool?

I may have misunderstood, but it looks to me as if chomerly's problem arose because he took the pulleys off the camshafts, and so lost the exact alignment of the cams when putting it back together - in a way that (?) he might not have done if the pulleys had stayed on the camshafts. If that's right, next question is: Do the pulleys have to come off the camshafts or can I in principle complete the job without removing them?