View Single Post
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 22:22   #1
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Timing Belt Renewal Interval. (6 years or 10 years)

V50. D5. 2007. 37,201 miles.

Today we had last service of a three year service plan from our main dealer in Newcastle. That was the 6 yearly service. The Volvo "Routine Service Checklist" (part number 97001455) provided by the main dealer indicates that the Timing Belt, Tensioner and Idler do not require replacement until 10 years (or 180,000 miles) That seems an awfully long service interval to me.
We had paid for the 3 yearly service in September 2010 with the mileage at 19,460 then signed up for the three year Service Plan to cover services for years 4, 5 and 6. The Volvo Service Handbook states that the 6 yearly service includes Timing and Auxiliary Belts change, which is one of the reasons we signed up to the plan as we expected the 6 yearly service to be rather more expensive than the previous two years.
I've checked the "Routine Service Checklists" from the previous services and they are all the same, i.e. 10 years (180,000 miles) I realise that I should have noticed this discrepancy after the first planned service but as I wasn't expecting the Timing Belt etc. to be renewed I'm sorry to say that I didn't check as thoroughly as I should have done.

I note from other threads on this forum that 10 years appears to be the norm. Which interval is correct?
Do we have any grounds for redress if the Timing Belt fails prior to the 10 year service interval?

In addition,
The Volvo Service Handbook states that the Brake Fluid should be changed every two years. The "Routine Service Checklist" issued by the dealer also states that this should be changed every two years. But it has not been changed. We queried this with the dealer who stated that it was not changed as we had not requested it. Surely, if an item is specified within the service one should not have to specifically request it?
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote