View Single Post
Old Nov 6th, 2003, 10:48   #1
LankyTim
Missing the point

Default 940 GLE saloon twin cam 16v, idling problems, and other...

Hi,

Ive recently bought a 1991 H reg 940 saloon 16 valve twin cam. There seems to be a problem with the idling though, it idles unevenly and somtimes even cuts out when stationary at lights e.t.c Ive wound up the idle speed and this seems to have made a difference, but its still not right. Also when the car is hot, say after 20 mins driving the throttle will stick open on gear changes, e.g ill close the throttle as I change up from 1st to second at 3000 rpm and instead of the revs decreasing between the gear change, they will stay at 3000 rpm. As I go into second the car will jolt as the engine will be revving too fast for the gear. This can be very frustrating and spoils the bullet proof volvo driving experience we all like! Ive checked that the throttle cable isnt sticking at all so at the moment im mystified. Also, when accellerating you can somtimes "sense" a misfire, the car doesnt seem to be producing full power but this doesnt happen all of the time, only somtimes. Fuel consumption also seems to be high (though maybe just a 16 valve trait?)

Id love to sort out these little niggly faults as apart from this the car is practically A1 though as it is getting old I dont expect it to be perfect.

any advice would be very much appreciated!

Regards

Tim Rodgers

lankytim@hotmail.com
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote