View Single Post
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 23:29   #24
Backhill1
Master Member

Please do not start adding additives. Your sample results are fine and they themselves said they based their base line on a 8K interval.

The trouble with samples is you get people over analysing data hence why I like the traffic light system, is it a problem or not.

Based on what you have taken at change interval tells you your oil was still ok at time of change with life left in it, with nothing untoward floating about!

Additives have to be chosen very carefully in line with what is in the base oils, and detergents can actually work against the properties of the oil and create foaming / lack of lubrication and actually a breakdown of detergents.

If whatever the recommended product which is promoted by Skyship “all the time as a fix all solution” has been tested and proven with your oil which (which incidentally is performing very well) it might improve engine life to ?% and also however at what cost if it breaks your original oil properties down. I’m not sure if he works for this additive company but certainly does not offer impartial advice instead of promoting a product.

Tribology and oil design is a science in itself and not one to be played with in live engines that you rely on day in and out.

Take a pat on the back from your samples, whatever you are presently doing is good and stick with it, no need to change! The air/box gash is nonsense for an EGR driven engine!

My advice would be stick with constant data, oil type and intervals and sample before change.

The engine manufacturer I represent recommend sampling from a running engine after the filter at operating temp as the design of modern oil is to suspend particles and retain in the sump, so taking from the sump can result in an actual false reading picking up the crud where it’s supposed to be!

Hence why it’s best to use for trending and to form a base line, which this Blackstone appear to be doing so good on them. So if you start to trend with them they will pick up something wrong (sharp rise in a property) anyone that can base an opinion on a first sample from a used engine is simply “flying a Kite” as they have nothing to base on! During Engine testing we test the new oil (From the drum)which at that point it never meets its ISO standard and we have to flush through 1 micron filters until it passes on the particle counter before it goes in the engine. We than test every hour throughout a test to terns the first 12 hours of its life!

So to put it in perspective unless you know the properties (as tested) of what you put in how can you judge the sample (as in adding additives etc.).

TT82 I admire your interest and care in your engine as a fellow 185 owner (I think) I am also keen to keep on top of mine.

Last edited by Backhill1; Oct 10th, 2014 at 23:33.
Backhill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Backhill1 For This Useful Post: