View Single Post
Old Nov 29th, 2014, 19:16   #1
Greecey

Default Engine lack of power / strange noises

I'm hoping someone can help. I have an S40 03 plate 1.9diesel Sport model with 135k on the clock - manual gearbox.
She has a full service history having owned her from new and had a full service with fuel filter approx. 6k ago. The majority of miles we have done in her since 70k have been motorway miles with a 50 mile each way commute.
My wife got in her to drive home this afternoon and she noticed a distinct lack of power. When accelerating normally, she lacks power and won't rev well. Also, she noticed that when the engine does reach 2000rpm there is a noise like a fan inside the car as if the screen demisters are getting louder although it isn't these fans it is from the engine bay. I took her out myself when she got home and noticed the same symptoms - almost as if the turbo isn't doing anything at all. I had a quick look under the bonnet and noticed a lot of oil from the turbo intake area and also at the top of the engine roughly where the intake and EGR valve is situated. She has no smoke from the exhaust at all and there appears to be no major oil loss. All of the pipes seem to be connected where they should be.
I am hoping someone can advise us as to the possible cause. She has been an extremely reliable car. My local garage has recently closed and we will have to try elsewhere. I am just after an idea as I don't want to get taken for a ride when we get her looked at on Monday.
Any help would be appreciated.
Greecey is offline   Reply With Quote