View Single Post
Old Jan 31st, 2015, 22:54   #12
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Amazing , i wonder who actualy wrote that paragraph ? It doesnt read well , and why are they quoting km in a UK Handbook ( Or on your sensus screen ) ?
Just about every volvo i have seen has tyre tread depths differing by a lot more than 1 mm .. It just isn't practical to keep moving wheels around everytime the tyre tread depths differ by more than 1 mm especialy with FWD versions ! Who is going to keep measuring them monthly and who is going to pay to have wheels swapped around a couple of times or more between services ? People generaly these days pay no attention whatsoever to their tyres , They don't check pressures from one service to another , and drive around with cords exposed on the edges ...
It certainly isnt a routine maintenance item to swap wheels around.
To be honest new tyres are needed just about every service with 18000 mile intervals , That paragraph just doesnt make sense ..

I really despair with volvo these days sometimes !
To be fair Clan, my XC90 has never varied by as much as a millimetre when I've had mine swapped around at every service, however I only do 4 or 5k a year.

I haven't had enough experience with the XC60 to know what that's like though.

I agree there are some odd instructions in the handbook. This one takes the biscuit.

It says you can only check the oil level with the engine cold and on level ground with the ignition on. But at an oil change after draining and refilling, to drive 35K before the electronic oil level indicator will work. (So how do you know it has the correct amount in the first place and how can you check when the EOLI wont work because the oil will be hot?)

It also says to check the oil level regularly during long journeys under adverse conditions like high speed or towing etc. (So how do you do that with a very hot engine oil when the EOIL won't work?)

Not having a proper dipstick seems barking mad to me.