View Single Post
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 13:10   #7931
Matt86
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstang View Post
Changed the master cylinder as the brake pedal has been slowly sinking to the floor when I brake over the last few days, got one no problem from a local chain and started fitting it, no real problems removing the old one and swapping over the reservoir onto the new one. The reservoir was full of manky
sludge at the bottom, guess the fluid has never been changed.

Fitted the new one and connected up the two brake pipes, the clutch pipe and the electrical connector, then jacked up the car and removed its wheels, started bleeding the R/H rear caliper and really dirty fluid came out, pumped loads of fluid through until it was clean and no bubbles comming out. Did the same with the other three calipers. Brake pedal is now very solid.

Whilst it was up in the air I changed the oil and filter and fitted a new fuel filter, again I think the fuel filter had never been changed for years it was so rusty on the outside.

Put the car all back together and test drive it only to find that the pedal still sinks when the engine is running, gutted to say the least.
Done lots of searches since on this site and it could be either air still in the system, which I doupt as the pedal is very solid without the motor running or the ABS pump/modulator as in this thread ;-http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=60686

Any other ideas on this?
Had these problems in both my 04 and my dads 04 plate diesel. Changed everything (granted I had used master cylinders but knew they were good) and what fixed it was replacing the brake hoses. He had rubber ones I upgraded to steel ones.

Car Photos
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt86 For This Useful Post: