View Single Post
Old Apr 28th, 2015, 17:06   #17
GrantA
Master Member

Hi Peter,

Just got my car back from National Windscreens, Inverness where they managed to remove, reseal and replace the windscreen without damaging it. Total cost, including VAT, was £72 which is a 'ell of a lot cheaper than Autoglass who said there was a good chance the windscreen would break on removal and would cost £671 to replace. BTW a new screen from the local Volvo dealer, with the same automatic wiper and headlight dimming functions that mine has, was quoted as £399 so you can see the profit that Autoglass would have made and how much Insurance companies have to pay to get damaged windscreens replaced.

I am very happy with the work carried out, the fitter said that he believed the screen was original and that it came out easily because "the majority of the top of the screen wasn't sealed properly" he also said that the screen was held in place mainly by the trim at the sides which fit very tightly and helps to hold the screen against the car body. In addition to resealing the screen they have inserted a narrow strip of rubber at the top of the screen which makes it a much neater job with no gap as there was before.

I also found out that Autoglass are restructuring there organisation and no longer have workshops dotted all over the UK but now depend more on mobile units to carry out repairs locally. http://www.retaildetail.eu/en/eur-eu...iate-autoglass The big advantage with National Windscreens here in Inverness was their ability to spend some time on my car last week in a workshop looking for the leak which they eventually found at the top of the screen. I wasn't charged for that time, only the time it took to remove and replace the screen today. After my experience today I would recommend National Windscreens in preference to any other similar company.

Grant

PS. Forgot to say the fitter also mentioned that the majority of leaks in the roof lining of cars comes from the roof rails (estate cars) or roof aerials

Last edited by GrantA; Apr 28th, 2015 at 17:13.
GrantA is offline   Reply With Quote