Thread: 940 mpg????
View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2015, 07:25   #20
heyskull
Heyskull

Hi

I can confirm that not all that are marked turbo on the back and have a dashboard boost gauge are HPTs.
This has been a long time myth.
My last 940 was a 2.0litre turbo (which is a LPT) which had a boost gauge and the badge on the rear and I had pictures of when the car was new so was original.
Also my previous to this 940 was a wentworth which also had the 2.0litre LPT with boost gauge but this did not have a turbo badge just a wentworth badge.
I guess it was just what badges Volvo had lying about and how they felt at the time.

As for the 2.0litre LPTs they probably averaged about 26mpg (In the real world) minimum was 21mpg and max 35 mpg.

Owning one of these cars is not about how economic they are but the longevity and reliability.
If you are looking for economy go buy a Peugeot/VW Diesel car.

I replaced my 940 with a petrol 2.4litre V70 and although a lot more economical (Averaging 33mpg and max 46mpg) even three years later I still miss the 940 as it felt like you were driving a lump of granite.

As for the Diesel 940s (VW engine) I had a friend with a turbo diesel which he says averaged about 30mpg and maxed at 37mpg but smoked like a tyre fire on a cold start and was very noisy compared to the petrol versions. Also when the diesel engine went wrong (and it does) it cost a lot more to fix than the petrol engines and kind of wiped out all the savings on fuel economy.

SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
A 940 turbo (petrol) is the last car you will ever need :-)

The ones that say turbo on the back are the HPTs and come with a boost gauge. Its not so much rpm related as power related.

I have an mpg meter and can get 40mpg using hypermiling techniques. Otherwise I get 24mpg if I enjoy it.

I don't see why a k-jet would be better, LHs still over fuel a lot. Fuel systems do not make much difference to driving experience, its probably more likely other characteristic like CAM or CR are responsible.
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote