View Single Post
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 22:55   #44
MikeS100
Premier Member

I wrote an update to this thread back on 27th July when we arrived at the campsite, I've only just realised that it didn't post! I was using mobile data rather than wifi so I guess the signal cut out at the critical moment!

Anyway, the oil cooler was a great success. As I said before, the temperature reached 117 degrees very quickly on my towing test run without a cooler fitted and would have risen further if we hadn't reached the campsite. With the cooler fitted it stayed at a steady 67 degrees on the flat and only went up a few degrees on a hill if I was using a steady throttle position to keep the revs at 1900 in top gear for maximum torque (just under 60 mph). If I was pushing it on a hill it would go up and there was one occasion where I had to accelerate hard and it peaked at 101 for a few seconds, but it very quickly dropped back down to 67 at the top of the hill and 101 degrees is still a safe temperature.

So all in all I'm really happy that I took the time to fit the additional cooler and really impressed with the difference it actually makes. If anyone is reading this in two minds whether to fit one or not they are definitely worth it and keeping the oil temperature down will really help the life of the oil and therefore the gearbox.
MikeS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeS100 For This Useful Post: