Thread: Engine: 2.3 F/Inj - Remap by custom tuning Bradford review
View Single Post
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 12:32   #8
ELO

Default In balance..

I’ve just had my car remapped and tuned by Custom Tuning at Dudley Hill, Bradford. I had read this review, which appeared in a number of places around the web, and initially it put me off using them, but being aware that there is always two sides to every situation I contacted the company and told them I was interested in using them but was cautious because of this crap review! They explained their side of it, which sounded acceptable and plausible, and I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and take my business their way. I dealt with two tuners there, Paul in correspondence who was friendly and informative, and then Andy who did the work on the day.
The remap required ECU removal from the front n/s inner wing, then access into the ECU casing as it wasn’t possible to remap via the OBD2 port. It took about 90-120 mins. Upon completion Andy told me to take her for a test drive. I was very pleased with the results, more power, torque and smoother throttle response.
When driving home I gave the car a little extra boot up the first long climb and it really pulled well, then all my dash lit up and 2 mins later I lost all power. “Oh Sh*t!!” went through my mind.
I read my faults codes straight away via the OBD2 port and got a nice collection – P042D (exhaust sensor fault), P0490 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit High, P0299 Turbo Underboost, P2263 Turbo performance !!!
A measure of a business’s value really shows itself not when all goes well with a customer but when things go wrong. I contacted Andy and he was instantly very helpful and reassured me that we’d sort it. He advised me to check all my hoses from the turbo and vacuum lines. I did and found nothing. I was told to come back the next morning and he’d look into it. Before I left I did find that the wire from the temperature sensor on the exhaust had dropped onto the drive shaft and worn through, this was nothing to do with the tuners and probably was down to me as I’d been working on the car the week before replacing the control arms. I fixed that back together and the P042D code disappeared.
When I got back to Custom Tuning, Andy was waiting for me. He strapped my car straight onto the rolling road and plugged in his diagnostic kit. It was showing that the Turbo Control Valve was out. He then went under the hood and found a vacuum hose from the TCV to the throttle body had popped off, probably because of the extra power now being generated by the turbo combined with it having been contaminated with oil during previous oil filter changes. He refitted and zipped it back on and all the power came back. He then gave me a free rolling road power test and it showed a 40 bhp increase over stock values. I left with the car’s power improved, a complimentary rolling road test and print off, and some free uprated vacuum hoses.
All in all I was very very impressed with Custom Tuning’s professionalism and service. Andy was very conscientious and happy to go the extra mile to ensure that things were as they should be.
ELO is offline   Reply With Quote