View Single Post
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 17:37   #7
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I stand corrected - but would ask if it isn't remapped what is the polestar bit in the title doing that I was referring to?
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volvo/v60-polestar

The car is a polestar engineered vehicle - they started wtih a V60 T6 and fettled the engine, gearbox, suspension, wheels, brakes, etc.

Quote:
Not that Polestar Volvos are solely about spoilers. In the V60’s case, Polestar started with a 3.0-litre T6 R-Design model and then went to town as much as possible without needing to tear up the undemanding servicing and maintenance routine.

The straight six engine gets a new twin-scroll turbocharger from Borg-Warner, a new intercooler, a new stainless steel active exhaust system and new ECU settings. The six-speed automatic transmission and Haldex electro-hydraulic four-wheel drive system have more aggressive control settings, too.

What results is 345bhp, 369lb ft and a launch control-governed 0-62mph claim of 5.0sec. Not quite the stuff of like-for-like Audi RSs or Alpina BMWs, but it’s probably gutsy enough for a level-headed Volvo. There has never been a more powerful production car from Gothenburg than this.

A bigger overhaul has been carried out on the V60’s chassis, informed by the experience of running current S60s as racing cars since 2012 but optimised for the road. Polestar Motorsport added the stiffness and dynamic poise required for this V60 in several ways, starting with a carbonfibre strut brace between the two front suspension turrets.

Shorter suspension springs were then fitted, making for a ride height lowered by just 3mm over that of the standard V60 T6 R-Design. That small difference may not strike you as much, but the spring rates were increased by a whopping 80 per cent, with the stiffer pair on the rear axle, as tends to be the case in performance cars where the need for clean directional response gets the nod over outright ride comfort.

New Öhlins dampers were specified, but damping was toughened up elsewhere through the use of stiffer top mount and tie blade suspension bushings.The running chassis overhaul is completed by 371mm Brembo front brake discs with six-piston calipers and bespoke Polestar Motorsport 20-inch alloy wheels wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres.

Last edited by I-S; Oct 29th, 2015 at 17:40.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post: