View Single Post
Old Nov 8th, 2015, 10:03   #28
MisterTad

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWAC View Post
Youve got 19's on yours???
Mine are fitted with with 20's!!!

I am looking at getting Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme from www.oponeo.co.uk and getting my local garage to fit them, as I run into the same problem as you!

I've always have a spare set of alloys with tyres so I can swap them over, but, like you i started looking and can find anything reasonable that will fit over them callipers!
It's fitted with the OEM 20s, but there are some OEM 19x8s as well for the very reason of winters - they're just not available in the UK (or so say my local dealer) and I can't find a manufacturer part number for them.

I'm currently undecided between three options - ~£2000 for a set of shod 19" OEMs, ~£1000 for tyres and keep the stock wheels and just deal swapping and storing, or £0 and drive like a grandmother for three months per year, and probably not at all for a couple weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
I totally agree as I have run winters myself with great success. I was simply thinking of ways around the exhorbitant cost of winters for the 20" rims.
There's of course the option C above (which I've not yet ruled out), but it's a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that anything but the most treacherous of conditions are traversable. I've been stuck on my drive (BMWs, gentle slope and light dusting...) far too many times and stuck out and about once, and would have happily paid 3x the cost of winters to magic a pair up right there and then. I don't expect the track biased OEM tyres are all that great when the temperatures drop, and even worse when there's a dusting on the road.

In reality it's not really an "extra" cost anyway, apart from wheels, if I'm wearing down the winters I won't be wearing the summers after all.

But I'm paying for the car next weekend, and have another unrelated expense that's half that again the week after, so I'll see how enthusiastic I am about spending anything on anything at that point!
MisterTad is offline   Reply With Quote