Thread: "New" Sat Nav?
View Single Post
Old Mar 5th, 2016, 20:34   #9
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
TomTom had HD traffic long before Google.

HD traffic monitors the speed of sim cards in devices and phones and uses an algorithm to determine hold ups. They also receive downloaded information on actual journey times and compare it with their calculations and adjust routes accordingly. It also programs in bad weather that will affect the average speed.
I heard of TomTom HD traffic a while back and nearly bought one for it then I discovered I already had google on my phone and also discovered it was fantastic for the traffic (which is what i use it for). I only use satnav occasionally for actual directions (I rather do it in my head and know where I am rather than following directions and just feeling displaced). But I use the google satnav for traffic all the time now and it has genuinely changed my attitude to traffic and alternative routes. I drive 30000 miles pa.

I understand the tomtom and using sim cards but whose cards? Only tomtom subscribers? I believe that the power of google lies in the crowd. 70% of smart phones run android and i think as long as you dont opt out of it then you will be supporting the google traffic info. The power of crowd data lies in the processing and the crowd size and i think the google has it nailed on both counts.

Always interested in alternatives and other tech so would be interested in more info on how the tomtom traffic works.
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote