Thread: S40 (New) General : - Cannot open boot
View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2016, 21:09   #17
GekkePrutser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog thou Meatier View Post
I had the can't-open-the-damn-boot problem. I tracked it down to the release micro-switch & license plate illumination assembly. Seems some corrosion was causing current leakage which was enough to convince the control unit that the switch was permanently closed.

Before you crawl into the boot and start taking the door lining off I suggest you disconnect and then reconnect the harness connector under the parcel shelf. If the lock then opens then you probably have the same problem as me and you've saved yourself a cricked neck and a sore throat from cursing and yelling. Said from experience.

Props to eretron for posting the circuit diagram.
Sorry for dragging up this topic (and hi, I'm new here Just got my first S40).

But I have the same issue with that microswitch. I already replaced the wiring harness (which, in fairness, needed doing anyway because the previous owner had done a poor bodge job on it).

It worked for a while but then it stopped again, and indeed it opens every time I unhook the cable for a second. I measured the contacts at the microswitch and indeed it is shorted out.

The problem I have now is: How do I get at the switch?? It seems to be completely glued in, as are the cables leading into it from the wiring harness connector. I don't see any way of getting in there without breaking the whole piece that holds the tailgate lighting and boot switch.

Just wondering if you found a way of getting that microswitch out (It looks like a part that costs a couple of quid at Farnell) before I go and order another expensive proprietary module
GekkePrutser is offline   Reply With Quote