Thread: D5 (D5244T to 2005) - MTE remap
View Single Post
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 15:03   #30
dme123
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
Removing the DPF is a breach of the MOT regs and will partially invalidate the insurance, unless they approve the extra hp AND the DPF delete.
Getting an approval for the extra hp is easy, but because removing the DPF is classed as a criminal act for use on a public road (OK for track use), I doubt if any insurer will approve it.

The Volvo was designed as a family car and although some models corner and handle well, they are too heavy to be a true sports car. The UK also has a 70 mph limit that makes tuning a bit of a joke, unless you just like wearing out tyres.

I try and get some Sunday morning WOT time in on the autobahn about once a month to burn the EGR and CAT clean, I've got an OEM 130hp mild MAP Mod that does not cost any extra on the insurance (A 150hp one sure does). It's not so unusual to get Porsches, Mercs or Beamers doing some biblical speeds and the last one that crashed looked more like a military jet accident.
Speed kills and always will do!
Well that was a singularly joyless post.

We're not talking about 600bhp monsters here, if you think 240bhp is too much in an 1800KG car then that's great for you and I know a Vauxhall dealer that'll happily sell you a 1 litre 3 pot Corsa.

The MTE remap in my D5 took it from "irritatingly slow" to "acceptable". You don't need to be a speed demon to appreciate being able to accelerate into gaps on slip roads, pull away briskly at speed limit changes, and accelerate away from bends on more interesting roads.

I do agree completely about DPF removal though, it's legally risky and also rather antisocial. Pretty poor to expect everyone else to have to breathe in the smokey **** from your tailpipe because you're too much of a cheapskate to fix your emissions control equipment. The people moaning about how useless and unnecessary DPFs are were presumably the same bell ends that wanted us all to continue breathing in tetraethyl lead because "it never did me any harm".
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dme123 For This Useful Post: