Thread: 0W30 or 5W30
View Single Post
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 19:31   #34
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by younger06 View Post
I used Comma oils for a couple of hundred thousand Kms in my last car without problem, that car has 650,000kms on it now and is still running.

And I agree, it's not particularly cheap. (but is cheaper than the premium rip off merchants)
How many miles or kms an engine has done, does not make much of a difference in engine wear terms, the total number of stop starts and age of the engine are more important with a diesel.

When trying to figure out the condition of an engine, oil consumption is one of the best guides.

I thought Comma were as cheap as the Halfrauds oils and there is an old saying that is very true, "You get what you pay for", although shopping around for a good deal does help.

If you do plan to use supermarket quality oils, Meguin and Foouchs are cheap. MG is owned by Liqui Moly and FU are the major share holder in Liqui Moly. Some cheap Dino based oils like GTX 10w40 can produce good results in UOA terms, BUT only for about 5K miles, after that they thin out due to high temp shearing AND run out of active detergents.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote