Thread: 0W30 or 5W30
View Single Post
Old Jul 28th, 2016, 13:20   #71
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
In some cars the manufacturers recommendation is the result of a commercial tie up and not really the optimal choice (petrol engined Alpinas, some Type R Hondas and some that I've just forgotten as the phone rang and I got distracted, basically the oil is a little thin and burns off at a high rate).

In others, the handbook spec is a basic, commonly available oil that you can get hold of easily. For example, the standard spec for my D5 is 15w-40, but I use 5w-40 to get better cold start protection. The same sort of logic can be applied to most engines.

More modern engines are made to very tight tolerances, with very strict emissions systems, so they need quite specific oil. With more modern Volvos, generally a 0w-30/5w-30 A5/B5 is the required grade and there isn't much leeway with that as it is required for the DPF.

Generally, manufacturers know what they are doing with oils and taking their advice is usually a good option.

Cheers

Tim
Volvo have never recommended 5W/40 for the D5
its 5W/30 ( or 0w/30 ) for the original D5 on 12000 service intervals (2002-2004), and only 0W/30 for 18000 service intervals after 2005 ...

The latest VEA engines must only use 0w/20 VCC RBS0-2AE. specification