Thread: V50 General : - Late V50 advice
View Single Post
Old Aug 18th, 2016, 01:01   #1
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Default Late V50 advice

So ladies and gents, there is a possibility that in a couple of months time I will be looking for a V50 to replace the A4 and bring me back to Volvo land!!! In a nutshell I've been trying to get decent quotes for PCH and PCP's on a new V40 but the mileages are always so prohibitive and I do so many it's not feasible really so I'm thinking a very late V50 simply because I don't get on with the V60, can't accurately explain why, I just don't get on with them so an 11/12 reg V50 is on the cards, or maybe another P3 as in a V70 DRIVe but they are more money and once again, MPG is a priority. We have sold our large twin axle caravan and are downsizing to an Elddis Xplore 304 (probably one of the dealer specials actually but the same van) which weighs 1086kg fully loaded so all V50's could pull it.

I've had a C30 and an S40 and I liked them both, but the C30 was a boggo one and the S40 a really early one and I've noticed on a great many cars I'm looking at which are all SE Lux or highly optioned SE's that many of them don't have a height adjustable passenger seat which I think is a bit tight and also many are missing the cruicial winter pack (that's an essential!!), so I wonder if any of you have gone from an early model to a newer one and can advise me on what changed, I know as the P3 cars got newer they felt cheaper but my 08MY was a lovely interior and I know a 50 won't be that kind of quality inside from my 2 previous Volvo's.

Also I wonder what connectivity the audio system has, I know they all should have an aux port at the age I'm looking at but do they have USB connections like my XC70 had or do they not have that? I'd like a full iPod connection if possible. I'm aware many of them have Bluetooth and sat nav, is the nav a decent system or is it useless?? My C30 didn't have any cup holders, is that a boggo thing or do none of them have any?

One last thing is engine wise, I'm honing in on a 1.6 DRIVe 115 6 speed as I've had many PSA engined cars before and all have been faultless and I'm wary of the Volvo engines from my experience in the XC70 and C70, always had better luck with my Ford/PSA engined Volvo's, what are people getting really world MPG from the later 8 valve DRIVe models?? I've had good results from the old 110 bhp 16 valve units before.

Any other pointers, comments, advice on the 50 would be greatly appreciated, I have a (financed) budget of £10,000 which puts loads of cars in reach or in cash could probably go as high as £5000 which isn't enough for what I'm after and I want a nice one this time, preferably a SELEKT used one with a decent warranty!!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Sasha94; Aug 18th, 2016 at 01:03.
Sasha94 is offline   Reply With Quote