View Single Post
Old Aug 27th, 2016, 20:50   #11300
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin93 View Post
Well I'm in luck since I am a mechanic and have now completed the job by myself for a mere 400 pounds. Ordered all the parts through work too which was all LUK stuff.

So yes the gearbox is now back in and driving, the vibrations have gone.... however the rattling at idle with the clutch up is still there which must mean it's in the gearbox. So I'm now going to ignore it.

I really think these Volvo gear boxes are vastly overrated, since the Renault unit in my old phase 1 V40 is still battling strong at 150,000 miles and it's attached to a good ol' solid flywheel. This Volvo unit apparently needs a DMF to soak up the vibrations and harshness from that really 'rough' petrol engine, so it doesn't knacker the gearbox... which in my case at 87,000 miles is what's happened.

Rant over
The Renault box in my P1 did 370,000mls with just a few linkage bushes being replaced and two oil changes. Still good when the car was scrapped. My P2 has the Volvo box and the changes are not as good as the Renault. Easy to catch the Volvo out if I try to change too quickly.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote