View Single Post
Old Oct 6th, 2016, 22:52   #71
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPalmer View Post
There is a VERY low (sub 40k miles) 2003 2.9l T6 that I absolutely love but would equally value some clarification from those here who seem to know about these cars:

a) is the auto gearbox fail on these a guaranteed event, or can you get lucky?

b) is a higher mileage car with reconditioned and upgraded gearbox a better bet or will it, too, fail at some point?

c) is the 'upgrade' to the 3.2l or 2.5l gearbox? And if so, is this without the problems or do these cars also have failing gearboxes?

Many thanks in anticipation. We're expecting a baby this weekend so would rather not be sitting in a time bomb!!
There's no promises, statistically the gearbox is likely to fail but as has been posted - some of them do give good life.

What I would add is that it's generally accepted that it's torque that kills the gearbox, hence driving style will therefore be a significant factor. I would suggest that a car that's done around 3,000 miles a year has probably been driven gently - maybe be a retired owner. It maybe worth looking into a bit further - but it's still a gamble and if you can't tolerate a failure (new baby etc.) most people on here would advise against.

The T6 was the only XC90 with this gearbox, 2.5T, 3.2 and 4.4V8 all have better units but the early (pre-facelift) 2.5T does have a AWD splined sleeve vulnerability (search on here).
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Oct 6th, 2016 at 22:57.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote