View Single Post
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 03:51   #41
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50D View Post
I know this is probably not the best time of year to be commenting on this thread, but I can't recommend winter tyres highly enough.

I was a sceptic at first, but having owned many BMWs over the years I am quite used to the high powered rear wheel drive antics in the snow, but the fun soon wears off when you are trying to avoid having an accident on the way to work. So one year I opted for winter tyres and the difference was astonishing. I live on a no through road and there was a small layer of snow, may be an inch. With no one around me, I tired stabbing the breaks at about 20mph expecting it to slide, but it stopped almost instantly arrow straight, no lock up, no ABS.

You still need to drive cautiously but you have much less fear of getting stuck. Yes the extra expense of another set of rubber is a pain at first, but on he bright side it's years before you need to buy new tyres! Storage was my biggest issue as you want to protect them as much as you can when not using them. The rubber seems to go hard much quicker than an all season tyre.
Disagree. Fitted winter tyres last year to fwd. Drove like sh1t. Not worth the money. Stick to normal tyres.
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote