View Single Post
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 03:48   #61
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
Merging early doesn't keep the traffic flowing especially when it goes down to a single lane 3 miles before it becomes so on a dual carriageway because some moron thinks they are a hero by driving at 20 on the outside lane (guess what happened to me today...). I was just about executed at the side of the road by my instructor during my police driving course for merging with about 200m still to go, I was far too early apparently!

I've lived abroad for quite a bit of time over the years and we are the only nation who doesn't seem to understand the concept of merge in turn. It's even recommended in the Highway Code.
For years that has bugged me! I've been practically spitting venom, blaming the pusher's-in as the reason why my lane is going so slowly. I'm travelling at half speed because of those ignorant, holier-than-thou, self-important, rude types who storm down the empty lane and then beg to be 'let' in with their silly indicators, even though they've had 800 yards of warning it would happen ...

I think I've seen the light. Thanks AngryScot, I do believe you are right. It would be better if everybody continued to use the lane until it's end. It would reduce tailbacks, and everybody could contraflow in the alternating manner they're supposed to. And if they all did that, they wouldn't be stuck in the tailback fuming because they're travelling so slowly. Actually, it makes sense.

I shall be adopting this as policy from now on. Thanks again.

The rule is suprisingly simple; You let one person in, then you proceed. It's really easy.

Last edited by canis; Feb 22nd, 2017 at 03:52.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post: