View Single Post
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 16:04   #23
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBenjaminHDM View Post
You misunderstand, I didn't mean every D5 is the same each iteration has a change or as I so quaintly put it, a tinker. The 130, 163 and 185 all have VNTs whereas the later generations have the borg warner sequential twin turbos for example.

And I have a Swedish D5 215 that has hit 150% oil from the DPF regens, it is an inherent design flaw caused by injecting fuel during the exhaust stroke that affects many engines to different degrees, Volvo or otherwise.

This is hardly the place to debate the finer details of Volvo's engines though, so let's stop at that.
All the engines Volvo fits in the EU are made in Sweden. The rising oil level is not a know issue anymore so I think there must be some other problem with your engine and suggest you contact a main dealer to investigate.

Some info from Volvo on the latest 215 bhp engine.

Quote:
Most of the latest engine-related improvements apply to both the D5 and D3 engines:
•Both the camshafts and connecting rods have been weight-optimised, that is to say they do the same efficient job using a smaller amount of steel.
•The new piston rings are of low-friction type.
•The oil pump is chain-driven.
•With the piston cooling valves controlled solely by demand instead of opening regularly, consumption can be reduced.
•The new vacuum pump has been optimised to affect the engine as little as possible.
•The D5 engine now gets the same lighter type of connecting rod that the 2-litre D3 had when it was introduced in 2010.
•All six-speed manual versions also get start/stop, which switches off the engine when the car is at a standstill. The engine fires up immediately when the driver presses the clutch pedal.
•All variants are also available with a six-speed automatic transmission.
There are effectively 4 different engines that compose the 5 cylinder D5 group of engines.

Roy

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Feb 22nd, 2017 at 16:14.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote