View Single Post
Old Apr 16th, 2017, 13:51   #39
Bernard333
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorgate View Post
my two-pennorth.

1) *lots* of people buy Volvos because they think they can skimp on servicing them. This seems to be a state of mind in the richer parts of society, whereas DIY fixes are commonly found in the poorer parts. So lots of people here buy volvos cheap, after they have been subjected to ridiculous levels of neglect. What you are reading here are *fixes* for these situations.
moorgate, your post really made me laugh, you have described me to a tee, when I got my first V70 D5 fourteen years ago which I still have I imagined keeping it for the four year 110000 miles duration of the pcp scheme then handing it back spending as little as possible on servicing as tyres and servicing were not included in my monthly payment. The oil was changed less times than recommened during that period using £11 per 5 litre oil, cheapest B4 oil I could get at the time. My financial circumstances changed so I ended up keeping the car after the pcp period ended.

The car now has 185000 miles on the clock, original turbo, cam belt changed at around 117,000 and thats been the only major expense (cost around £110), the engine seems to have plenty of power and I am guestimating its probably good for another 50000 miles. In my new life as a poverty stricken diyer I fix everything myself, I have a few cars these days which I need to keep 'fixed' at no cost to the owners but the V70 is the most reliable cheap and easy to repair of the old bangers I look after.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote