Thread: S40 (New) General : - Cannot open boot
View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2017, 10:20   #29
dilbertov

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindvalll View Post
John, hope you're still an active member

I'm trying to fix my boot as of now. And Im stuck at stage 4. I have unscrewed the three bolts retaining the lock to the lid and of course also disconnected the connector going to the lock. But Ive tried, a lot, to get the lid open. As you say in stage 3, the lid opens up just a little. But how in the world do you get it fully open?
I know this is an old post but can't see an answer anywhere so thought I'd reply for the sake of any future puzzled members.

Unless you know that you have to replace the lock then it's best not to go down this route. On mine, the electrical socket on the lock mechanism fouled on the steel mounting bracket. Forcing it breaks the plastic around the socket although this is easily fixable using superglue.

To release the boot, buy a replacement loom first and fit it temporarily from inside the boot (parcel shelf plug, lock plug and boot switch - the latter removed from the outside and then plugged into the loom inside the boot).

If you don't wish to buy a new loom but repair the old one, just connect a +12V to lock Pin 1 and an earth to Pin 2. The boot should unlock. You can use the boot power socket for the +12V but I'd always suggest having a low-rated in-line fuse in the lead, just to be safe.
dilbertov is offline   Reply With Quote