Thread: Add Bluetooth
View Single Post
Old Jan 30th, 2018, 20:16   #10
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
For what it's worth, I've been wrestling with the installation of something similar:

https://isimple.com/catalog/professi...ts/musicstream

...and I've been having a devil of a time. I installed it in behind the centre console just like the video suggests and unfortunately ThomasG is spot on: you get alternator whine that is just loud enough to drive you nuts if you are playing something soft like Shine on You Crazy Diamonds which I especially enjoy while driving.

So, I pulled the radio out and tried installing it in behind using the DC power feeding the radio. The good news is that it totally eliminated the alternator whine. The bad news is that the sound was coming through very distorted on the RHS audio. It was very odd, the lower sounds (heavy base) would be fine but vocals and higher pitched sounds just would not come through. Left side was fine. I re-installed it making sure my soldering was solid...no dice. My guess is that the audio control panel under the seat does something to the audio feed before sending it to the radio. This is supported by the fact that while there are two feeds in the centre console (one for aux and one for USB) there is only a single feed that comes into the radio (AUX/USB).

My next step is to try to run a 12V from the back of the radio all the way under the centre console to the rear to see if I can re-install the Bluetooth gizmo there successfully. I will let you guys know if this works. For the audiophiles out there do you know if I would also need to run a second ground cable or is it only the 12V feed that causes the alternator whine?
I would think that for audio use both +12 and GND will be filtered for noises.
What I would do, myself at my own risk (implying that if you decide to follow- its your own risk)..
Actually, all that there is at risk is 1 fuse, 1 resistor, 1 old speaker..

So, I'd get 1 old speaker, if possible high tone/whistle, if possible greater than 10W.
1 resistor of min 15, max 47ohm, minimum 10W.
Bit of insulated wire.
And solder them in series:
---------------------speaker------resistor---------
Then connect one went to +12V feeding radio, start engine, turn radio off.
Other end of this set to radios ground. And listen.
Play with gas pedal. And listen.
Then move it to GND on arrest lighter socket. Play with gas and listen.
There's 3 possible outcomes:
You may blow up speaker
You may blow radio fuse (unlikely, 15ohm resistor will draw below 1amp)
You'll know which earth is clean.

If in doubt or not willing to do the test- run separate earth.
Again, I would use concentric cable, separate for 12V and separate for "clean" earth, with centre cores used to carry actual 12V and GND, and sheath connected to bodywork GND. This should get rid of electromagnetic noise.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote