View Single Post
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 21:55   #16
Semnoz

This is turning out to be more annoying than I'd thought.

I've removed the top-up tank cap, filled it with water (from garden hose), and opened the radiator drain valve....and nothing comes out.

I then looked at removing the lower main hose from the radiator and cannot figure out how it comes off. I've removed the metal 'spring clip' on the hard plastic section at the end of the hose, but this made no difference. The Haynes manual assumes this engine has jubilee clips on the main hoses, so is of no use at all.

Anyhow, I've now also tried turning the engine over for a few seconds (with the heater temp set on Hi). The top-up tank is staying full of water, and still nothing coming out the radiator drain.

This makes me think I'm doing something fundamentally wrong......but can't think what.

The only thing I can think of is that the thermostatic valve isn't opening (as engine is cold) and I can't flush water through until this opens. But as I'm not sure if there's much coolant in the engine, I'm not comfortable running it like this. And besides, all the guides I've read suggest you can fully top up the coolant with the engine cold, run the engine, let it cool down, and then drain the coolant, and then top it up and repeat until clean water comes out. So what am I doing wrong ?

Last edited by Semnoz; Apr 6th, 2018 at 22:28.
Semnoz is offline   Reply With Quote