View Single Post
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 09:08   #34
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
Cool, you have a voltmeter.

Turn the ignition ON but don't start.

Check for 12v at the coil primary terminals (the spade terminals on the top of the coil). The red lead from the VM on the terminal, the black lead to a GOOD earth. It should read 12V or close to on BOTH primary terminals.

Check for 12V at the injectors. Disconnect ALL the injectors by removing the connector on them. On any one of the connectors touch (don't shove the probe into the terminal, you will damage it) the red VM lead to each terminal with the black lead on a good earth. You should get 12V or close on one, and nothing on the other.

Well done. You have just confirmed that you have ignition supply to the injectors and the coil. Any further tests need a bit of knowledge and some other gear.

At this point though, given its a Volvo with LH2.4 engine management, I'd go ahead and replace the crank sensor. I would personally recommend also replacing the ignition amplifier (the one on the inner guard that Dave described) as it WILL be the next failure if it hasn't already.

There are plenty of good threads on replacing both of these items. Look them up before you go ahead - the CPS especially can be a bit daunting, but it is actually straightforward as long as you are careful.
Thanks Ash - that was going to be the next lot after checking the fuses! Saved me a lot of typing!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: