Thread: Engine: 2.3 Carb B23A/B230K: - no spark this morning
View Single Post
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 08:50   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post

Are you certain you have the correct crank sensor as the correct direct fit sensor has been out of production for some time

I've had two cars with B230K Renix systems and one used the same CPS as the later LH systems, popped into a hole in the bell housing, and the other was on an alloy bracket that bolted to the back of the block.

My experience of CPS is that they become erratic, sometimes causing a failure to start, but then suddenly working for a while until failing again. So I've usually had fair warning and have managed eventually to get started again and get home.

Ignition amplifiers otoh (does this car have one, or similar?) fail suddenly without warning and then never work.
Caps and rotors and HT leads get erratic and misfire, but don't in my experience suddenly fail and totally die.

The main fault I had with this set-up was the vacuum operated cold-start sensor failing, causing the engine to fail to start or cut out before it had warmed up. For some time I ran it by clamping the two pipes to fool it into allowing a cold start, then removing the clamp once warmed up.

This system is so complicated you ideally need a spare set of everything, so you can swap things one by one for diagnosis.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote