View Single Post
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 23:00   #1
Vakito

Default Very poor fuel economy, idle adjustment problems.

Hi all, I've had my 1988 240 for a year now and all that time I never gave a thought about how much fuel I was actually using. Recently I did the maths and worked out I'm only getting around 12-15MPG!! It's a 2.0L B19E with K-Jet, no ECU, AW70 non lockup gearbox, brakes are fine tyres are fine engine runs fine and I don't drive around like Sterling Moss.

What I've done so far to address the problem is had the injectors ultrasonically cleaned and refitted with new seals for the injectors and the holders. New fuel filter, new spark plugs and new air filter.

The air filter box's hinges are broken at the bottom causing it to not close and seal properly and I'll need a new one shortly. While I was changing the filter I thought i'd remove the flap valve to test it and it's stuck closed so it will need repairing.

After replacing the injectors I started the car up but it would not idle without stalling as soon as I took my foot off the accelerator, this was easily fixed by adjusting the idle speed screw on the throttle body. I'm not sure if this is a good sign that the engine now needs more air for the same amount of fuel or is it something else?

Also regarding the idle adjustment screw, the adjustment doesn't seem to be linear, you could screw it in or out for a while with no change and suddenly the idle speed will adjust erratically.

I've not taken it out on a run since I've replaced these parts, just started it up on the drive but what I want to know is what's the deal with the idle adjustment screw and is there anything else I can do to improve fuel economy?

Peter
Vakito is offline   Reply With Quote