View Single Post
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 10:58   #5
TurboDiesel2006
V70 D5 185 Owner

I have the iCarsoft i906, it can identify the car, read codes, clear them and provides a live data stream. But it only provides a one-line description of the error code, doesn't give you the depth of information you get from Vida and can't do activation of components. It is not limited to reading just the engine and does all of the systems (I think) and it is very easy to use being just one handheld unit that you can quickly plug in.

I did have a Vida system (bought to address the limitations of the iCarsoft reader when I replaced the throttle unit) but it has to run on a Windows 7 operating system with Internet Explorer 9 and, Sod's Law again, that laptop terminally crashed a week before the Volvo's EGR problem reared its' ugly head. Getting a new Win7 laptop and rebuilding it to SP1 whilst keeping IE9 is more money and not the work of moments so I am Vida less with a sick Volvo.

What is really annoying is that I tested the Volvo a week before we decided to un-SORN it (and SORN my wife's car instead) and it was fine, then this problem comes up the first time I start it up with tax and insurance. Naturally my wife is less than impressed with my decision making.

So I am hoping that my analysis is good and I can free up the EGR valve. But to get it off I need to release that V clamp and that is where I got stuck.

If I can't repair it I can try a second hand EGR valve but I can't help thinking that any used unit is likely to be not much better than my 150k mile unit. Whichever way I look at it I think the EGR is going to have to come off which takes me back to the V clamp.

Does anybody know how to test or repair the EGR on the bench? From reading the excellent SkintKnuckles thread on EGR woes I came to the conclusion that the low signal messages and low voltages were all red herrings and the result of the sticking EGR, not the cause. Hence my thinking that if I can fix the stuck valve the other related codes will disappear.
TurboDiesel2006 is offline   Reply With Quote