View Single Post
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 17:15   #30
1monkey600

I have a MY16 xc70.

It has active xenon headlamps (aka ABL-active bending headlamps) these are basically the dipped headlamp units and they follow the steering angle of the car from side to side, when activated. These are the xenon bulbs.

It also has active main beam (aka AHB-active high beam) which means you can switch on high beam and leave it and the car automatically switches off the main beam when a car comes the other way or you enter a built up area with streetlights. These main beams are halogen units as xenons wouldn't activate quickly enough or last long enough for regular on-off usage.

For travelling abroad, in my case taking it back to UK, I have to open up the headlight and move the lever as per the above. Takes a couple of minutes each side while on the eurotunnel. Hardest part is disconnecting the cable connector but nowadays I have done it often enough that I can flick the levers without disconnecting the wire.

Flicking the levers is a temporary thing and the headlight units themselves are specific for LHD or RHD cars so must be changed if you want to import your continental car to UK, or vice versa.

Back in 1989 I had a Lancia Delta and a mate hade a BMW 316. Both of these could be legitimately be switched from true RHD to true LHD (rather than just blanking off the 'flick' to the nearside. You had to loosen two or three screws a few turns and then rotate the headlight internals about 20-30deg then tighten up again, and that was it. Haven't had a car since where things were so easy!
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote