View Single Post
Old Aug 18th, 2018, 23:58   #50
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
I haven’t! That’s a good point, and not one I’d thought of until you mentioned it. Whereabouts under the dash would i find the EZK? I know the previous owner went dash mining to replace the stereo head unit, so maybe he dislodged it.

The car runs and pulls well, but the slightly lumpy idle and intermittent misfire when driving is virtually identical whether hot or cold.
He almost certainly did then Phil! I can't remember exactly where it was on mine, it's about 6 years ago now and as i was crawling backwards on my back into the footwell (after removing the trim) with a torch i got confused over what was left and what was right.

If i was pushed to say where it was, i'd probably say between the clutch and brake pedals as a general area but bear in mind Volvo sometimes move these things on a whim and mine was the B230E so no fuel ECU, just the spark (EZK ECU) and i actually found it when i suddenly noticed this "spare" vacuum hose dangling in the breeze when i was bypassing the audio amp with a bypass loom from fleabay.

That said, mine had been running like a sack of spanners for a while at the time, rough idle, hesitancy/flat spot on acceleration, thirstier than it should have been and not as lively either. However, i put a lot of that down to a manky dizzy cap etc as i hadn't had it long at the time, scraped it through the MoT (emissions were the stumbling block - can't think why!) and like you are now doing, was working through its various problems.

Once i found the EZK unit and the stub (with no hose attached) i put 2 and 2 together and fitted the hose back on and on a road test later found it was the cause of the running problems.

As you can see, i wasn't trying to trace the rough running at the time but bypass the audio amp so i didn't pay as much attention as i maybe should have done.

If you have a spare door mirror glass or can "borrow" one of your wifes make-up compacts (preferably an empty one so that she doesn't moan you've left oily pawprints in her favourite foundation and also that same foundation doesn't end up pawprinted around the car!) and a torch, remove the underdash trim and save your neck, back etc by using the torch and mirror to find the EZK unit.

Hopefully this will be the final piece of your jigsaw puzzle, for now at least! You might also find you don't need to go to the expense of changing the fuel pumps yet too and save those for another time.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: