View Single Post
Old Aug 30th, 2018, 14:07   #2
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Hi
I'm planning a rear suspension rebuild on my 1969 1800S. There is also an oil leak where the prop shaft joins the diff so the seal needs replacing and I'd like to attend to some surface rust and underseal flaking underneath the body and in the wheel arches.
Seems to me the best thing would be to remove the whole axle assembly and work on it in the relative comfort of the garage. Notwithstanding seized suspension bolts etc., is this something that I can expect to do at home without major difficulties? I'd say I fit into the 'competent', but by no means 'expert' bracket.
Thanks
Simon
I think the physical removal and replacement of the axle falls into the "competent" category.

(You need things such as axle stands - quite high ones to be able to pull the axle out from under the car - and a decent trolley jack. If you have super tall axle stand you could even roll the axle from under the car on wheels!)

The problem as I see it comes to the pinion bearing. There is a procedure in the workshop hand book for doing this - you need to read this. You also need to realise that if you get the torque on the pinion nut wrong and it is too loose you knacker the pinion bearings - too tight - you knacker the pinion bearings - and in both cases potentially cause uneven wear to your pinion and crown wheel which will mean the effing thing will never be quiet again.

I reckon the pinion seal falls somewhere near "expert" or at the very least advanced "competent". Anyway decide for yourself - you know you better than most people. A local garage should be able to do this work for you - though of course these days due to the lack of an OBDII interface on your rear axle there might be confusion...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote