Thread: C30 General : - BluePower BLP-990A
View Single Post
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 00:54   #9
Sysyphus

I typed up a big reply to this the other day then the forum software ate it

I upgraded from the old BLP-990 to the A in May. It's a quantum leap improvement but still a very long way short of perfect.

I have the high-performance audio so the BLP goes thru the existing system as the AUX input. You can still use the existing radio, Bluetooth phone and CD changer (although ejecting CDs is a major project once you have the screen in place)

Install is more or less the same as the original... for the C70 you actually have to remove the back seat(!) to remove the rear cupholders so you can slide the center console back to can get to the two screws at the base of the waterfall. Although there is no disc unit in it anymore the main unit is still a CD burner box. The lead from main unit to the display is only just long enough... would be so much easier is it was a couple of inches longer.

Most irritating thing remains the fact that the Volume knob/power button operates on both the BLP unit and the factory system. If you use the power button to turn things off, the BLP unit will start up again automatically when the ignition is turned on, but the factory unit stays off...then when you push the power button the BLP shuts off and the factory unit starts up. Only resolution is to shut the car off and start again. Also the volume controls both the output level of the BLP unit AND the amplification of the factory unit,so there's only about a quarter turn between can't hear a thing and blowing the windows out.

There's an awful lot of digital processing going on when playng music... the BLP unit and the Volvo both have volume adjustments based on road speed... I had to turn everything off in the BLP unit to avoid some very tinny sound.

The supplied software is very sucky... I've messed around with a few loaders and now settled with one called Car Web Guru... I'm still auditioning music players: haven't found one that does everything I want.

I've never managed to get the steering wheel controls to work with it.

I paid for the OBD and Carplay adapters. Both were "backordered" when my unit shipped. OBD arrived over a month later, it was one of those blue ELM327 clones from China that you can buy on eBay for less than a fiver. Within seconds of me inserting it and turning on the ignition the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with all kinds of warnings in the DIM display, and there was a strong smell of burning plastic. I shut the ignition and removed the dongle and thankfully the car returned to normal. Bluepower refunded the price I had paid for the dongle but I still ended up a little out of pocket after paypal fees and exchange rates.

The carplay dongle arrived even later... that did seem to work well at first, although on my first long trip with it it seems to cut out after about an hour or so. Think it might be a thermal issue.

Even more annoying is using my iPhone hotspot I have to go through a bunch of hoops resetting the BLP wifi and stopping/restarting my hotspot every time I leave and re-enter the car. I'm led to believe that may be an Apple issue rather than a problem with the unit, but it certainly doesn't improve my feelings about it.

Worse than that, just recently, intermittently, the unit seems to arbitrarily just shut it's wifi connection off altogether. I turn it back on and it shuts off again after a few seconds. Bluepower were unable to assist beyond offering to send a replacement... the issue went away for a bit so I declined for the time being since I had no desire to reinstall all over again in the height of summer while it's 90F (30C) in my garage.

The issue is back again now so I might have to take them up on that offer.

All in all I am going to soldier on with it, since it is a big improvement on just about anything else available... it would be nice to think BluePower might actually get around to sending out some upgrades one of these days, but given their track record I'm certainly not going to hold my breath waiting
Sysyphus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sysyphus For This Useful Post: