View Single Post
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 13:15   #67
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
I'd treat that pdf as a historical document as it relates to the original 2 point belts. You need at least a 3 point system as fitted to later PV's and Amazons. Your racing regs may require even more but perhaps you can get away with it in this "preservation" class or whatever they call it. Centre attachment at the tunnel should be easy but you will probably have to weld in a support plate at the bottom of the B post to support the seat belt reel. Check with other PV racers maybe?
Note that the top B post mount changed about 1960 from fixed to swivel I believe, so you might need to do a mod there too.
Some people don't like the idea but a common fix for fitting threads to thin sheet metal structures where you can't get to the other side is rivnuts / nutserts

Used correctly these can be strong fixings but any fixing is only as strong as the bit to which it is fitted - you need to look at the specifications of the fixing and consider how expensive the larger sized threaded installation tools can get (!)

If you are racing your PV then you might find simple fixings on sheet metal are not going to pass race safety checks: I would be considering additional reinforcement for racing - but I'd probably have a roll cage onto which safety belts would be attached

########

The seat belt fixings on my PV are not exactly top notch but the one thing that have going for them is that the inertia reels have more than one fixing on the sills - they do look like they are (almost) professionally installed - perhaps it would be a plan to find someone with a bit of experience in retro fitting seat belts to do the work for you?
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote