View Single Post
Old Sep 29th, 2018, 19:55   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5Sweep View Post
What engine? Whiteblocks are known for a bit of top end rattle.
It's a white block, S90, 3.0 i think. If you have one and haven't tried some ATF, preferably synthetic, added to your engine oil to quieten the noisy tappets, you'll be amazed when you do!

I've been using it for about 20 years in anything i've owned that has had hydraulic tappets for that reason alone and have also used it on some with solid tappets, just to clean the internals and revive the seals.

Had a Jeep Cherokee 4.0HO a few years back and that had 3 very noisy tappets. It sounded like 3 pile-drivers inside the engine! Did an oil/filter change and as it took about 6.8L i substituted 1.5L of engine oil for ATF-U and ran it.
Over the course of 1000 miles or thereabouts, the tappets got quieter and quieter until they were totally silent. It pulled a lot better, was better on fuel, started easier and the oil leaks it had went.
As you'll see from my signature, i also have a Rover 827 - these are known for top end rattle as well, especially when cold. I also used to have an 827 Coupé which sounded almost as bad as the Jeep when i first got it. When i sold it, the tappets were silent, as are the tappets in my Sterling. Once in a blue moon, one or two will tick a little during warm up, usually when it's getting near an oil/filter due date for change.

I have also used it in my 760, which although it has solid tappets, sounded very tappety when i first got it, the oil was filthy and the filter was blocked. Like the Jeep, the 760 takes more than 5.0L of oil so i substituted 1L of ATF-U for 10W40 semi-synth to make up the 6L it needs to slurp. The engine got quieter (the tappets still need adjusting but sounds nicer now), the oil leaks have gone, it runs sweeter and nicer overall and the oil is staying cleaner with less blocking of the PCV system.

You wouldn't put up with a new white block with top end rattle, why put up with it just because it's got a few miles on the clock?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: