View Single Post
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 12:35   #79
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Chris obviously knows his stuff - the RACs answer was indeed evasive and their own technician (Chris) has proved a roadside repair was indeed possible.

I wouldn't bother about the AA, your car is too old for them to cover and they don't offer "Personal Cover" like the RAC do. The benefit of Personal Cover is they cover the member, not the vehicle so even as a passenger, you can invoke all benefits of your membership.

Also the AA were (i don't know if they've improved but i doubt it!) even more useless than the RAC, the number of times i'd see an AA beavertail arrive with a "dead" car on the back and the diagnosis given as something totally unrelated to the actual fault is incredible. One in particular i remember, Calibra 4x4 turbo arrived with supposedly a dead starter motor.

Checked everything, all seemed good so turned the key. Partial movement of the engine on its mountings but not turning. Tried turning the engine by hand with a socket on the crank pulley, wouldn't turn.
Removed the plugs, tried on the crank pulley again - turned!

Leaving the bonnet open, i then tried the starter again and saw 4 jets of coolant shoot out from the spark plug holes!

Head gasket! Starter was fine!

Back to what you're asking though, the injectors would probably benefit from being cleaned/refurbished :

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/emerald-se...ditioning.html

Depending which injectors you have, it might be cheaper to find a set of the updated injectors from a newer model/different car. My 760 is now running about on a set of Omega 3.2 V6 injectors as they are the same as the updated injectors Bosch would recommend for mine, it's possible yours uses the same injectors.

As for the turbo, do you let the engine idle for a minute or two before switching off? Doing this will prolong the life of the turbo, they can and do go, usually the bearings and seals resulting in a James Bond style, white smoke-screen from your exhaust. New cores are available for about £100 on fleabay which essentially gives you a new turbo.

Apparently the coolant and oil pipes to/from the turbo are a weal point on the 940 turbo models, they both fur up from what i understand resulting in loss of flow of whichever fluid is in them, both fluids are needed by the turbo for longevity. Maybe next time it goes in for a service you can get them to check these hoses and let you know how good/bad they are.

Other than that, regular fluid/filter changes should really be all it needs to achieve inter-galactic mileage. Is yours auto or manual? Regular changes of the ATF will also help and likewise the PAS fluid (same stuff, just goes in the steering instead) will keep your steering nice and working well.

Coolant and brake fluid should ideally be changed every 2 years and although not really specified in the service blurb, the rear axle oil should be changed at some point.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: