Thread: S40 V40: - Fuel Pump Issue
View Single Post
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 23:29   #2
gatos
Premier Member

The pumps are quite reliable on our cars, but they do fail from time to time. The good thing about our cars is that the fuel tanks are not metal and are actually made of plastic. So there is no issue like rust developing on the inside and clogging up the pump, like it happened on my 240.

There is a sort of mess filter at the very bottom of the sender unit, which prevent any large particles entering the pump, but it won't stop the smaller particles. When you remove the sender unit, check if it is dirty. I wouldn't worry about it too much though, as it normally clogs up on the diesels because of diesel bacteria in the tank.

Replacing the pump with a brand new one, or even a second hand one, should solve your problem. I made a guide of how to replace the sender unit, but all the photos dissapeared. I will try to do the guide again and post it here if it helps.

If you decide to go down the route of fitting a second hand pump and can't find one, let me know, as I have a spare one from a 2003 2.0

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post: