View Single Post
Old Nov 5th, 2018, 14:16   #4
TonyB65

In an increasing era of authoritarianism I absolutely share your concern. I am currently reading Solzhenitsyn's "The Gulag Archipelago" (The abridged version), a book so powerful that it helped to bring the collapse of the Soviet Union. If ever there was a more powerful warning in history I'd like to see it. People are so flippant with comments like "As long as I'm doing what I should who cares?", and "serves them right!".
Whilst I can understand those sentiments, the underlying message is "You will have nowhere to hide". Imagine a situation where we have driverless cars, guided by GPS, with 360 deg cameras, and now imagine the state having access to that. This is not even a Sci-Fi scenario, this is a reality in the very near future. We give up our freedoms so easily, but once they're gone that's it, it's a lot harder to get them back, ask the Russians. As a side note, The Gulag Archipelago is mandatory reading in Russian schools now, as it should be in ours judging by the little bolsheviks we're churning out these days.