View Single Post
Old Nov 19th, 2018, 22:24   #8
frankfront

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
No the left side always is moved to the right , when the left is empty it is ok , it works on pressure that side not vacuum … so if the left side pick up is floating near the top it will stay near full on the left but the right side will go down and run out with the gauge showing about 1/4 as the float is still registering the left side has plenty . If the left pick up is secure then there must be some kind of internal leak on the fuel pipes near the pump I would think . If you have not dismantled the pump assembly it is unlikely that two different units would have the same problem of course ..
That's very interesting to know. Thanks. But as you say rather unlikely that the two units have the same fault.
Struggling to think of a logical explanation.
I talked to the - very able - mechanic that fitted them both and he clearly knew what he was doing. Says that everything was clipped together as it should be - so that the LH collector was pressed against the bottom of the tank.

However - one thing I didn't have space to describe in my original post:
With the first replacement pump fitted - the car ran out of fuel the first time I let the gauge go below '100 miles left in tank'. I know that the pump was dry because I heard it priming after I emptied the spare can in. And I know the tank wasn't empty because refilling it a few miles down the road took much less petrol than normal. I never let it go as low again until we replaced it and I still haven't had the nerve with the new pump. Will see what I can do...

The above does strongly imply that the LH pick up was detached on the first replacement pump. I am passing the mechanic's place tomorrow and will find out if they remember what they discovered when they took the first replacement pump out.
In the first instance we have agreed it would be sensible to take the left hand sender unit out and see if there any obvious anomalies - much easier than the RH side...
Long shot I'd say.

Thanks for the ideas and wisdom - keep it coming,

Frank
frankfront is offline   Reply With Quote