View Single Post
Old Jan 27th, 2019, 20:38   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Found more bells and whistles today after a weekend in the mountains:

Heated steering wheel - hadn't noticed that before

Massaging passenger seat as well as driver's seat. My passenger and I loved the back massage on the 2hr drive home following a day in the snow!!

The sound system is the Bowers and Wilkins system, great sound

The Nokian Winter tyres were great in the snow.

Sport Mode is really good for uphill on the mountain roads, and the air suspension was nice and firm. We laughed as the car increases the ride height in off-road mode.

I updated all the apps, and tried a few out.
The Wiki app had us in hysterics as the text-to-speech algorithm tried to pronouce Swiss names in English. But a lot of fun getting it to read aloud articles about our destination.

Sent our location via Glympse to our friends who were also driving up, they found that useful.

Maps were due for an update but as I was eating into my own private data allowance for a loaner vehicle, I left the maps as-is.

360 degree camera is brilliant for parking, but I often switch to rear or front view to get a better look and feel for what I am reversing into or nosing into.

Downsides:

Cream coloured leather - looks nice but impracticle.
The driver's seat was already staining blue from jeans after 6 months / 20,000 kms. And the steering wheel had some grubby marks on it.
And the door panels were starting to get a bit discoloured.
So if you order a light coloured interior, you need to treat it with kid gloves, keep it clean, treat the leather often, and NEVER wear blue jeans.
Much better: get dark leather interior, like my XC90. After 10 years it still looks great!

Voice control: hit and miss. Might improve with training (both driver and vehicle)

Apps: the big display can only show 4 items: Navigation, Audio, Phone and one App.
So you can only load one extra app: either Wiki or Weather or Glympse or Driver monitoring, but never more than one. That's a shame. I think it could fit 5 or 6 on the display.

Text to speech: When turning onto the 1L motorway, the nav said to turn on to the 1-litre. It interpreted 1L as 1 litre. Funny.
And it doesn't say "Aye-One" for the A1 motorway. It says "Ahh-One". This is a weakness of the text-to-speech system that I am sure could be improved with software improvements.

Instrument cluster:
The nav display is great, but it would be good to also show audio track info with nav display. I think there's enough room.
and the difference in displays between driving modes is absolutely minimal. They should apply more differentiation.

But all in all the MY2019 XC60 is an awesome car.
the SPA platform offers so much versatility, and the continual improvements through software updates is a dream come true for owners and for the vehicle dealers. So easy to fix problems, so easy to roll out new features.

But at something like 80,000 CHF = 60,000 GBP, quite expensive!
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote